J. William Johnson was born in 1948 in Fredericton, NB. He has painted since childhood and began a formal art education in the studio of New Brunswick artists George Frye and Fred Hooper in 1963. After completing a teaching degree in Fine Arts from the University of New Brunswick and St Thomas University in 1966 he was awarded two monetary prizes for his artwork from the NB Society of Artists and the Fredericton Society of Artists.
He began work as an illustrator and writer for the Fredericton Daily Gleaner and later the now defunct Atlantic Advocate magazine as Assistant editor. His paintings and drawing during this period were included in several group shows with artists who included Molly and Bruno Bobak. He then spent more than a year in Souris, PEI, in a rented schoolhouse/studio pursuing his art.
In 1975 he left to study at the NS College of Art and Design where he studied photography and painting. After his studies he went to Toronto, working in a gallery frame shop while painting. His two years in Toronto ended with his first one-man show in Greenings Gallery in Oakville, Ontario. He managed to sell out and with the proceeds left for Europe to roam the cities, galleries and museums.
In 1980 he took up permanent residence in Halifax as a courtroom illustrator for ATV until 1986 when he became involved in television production, art direction and book design (He has illustrated and designed over 30 books currently in print). He worked for design firms as an art director and finally as Creative Director for Atlantic Wholesalers, a division of Loblaws of Canada.
In 1995 he left the corporate world to devote his time and energies to art and family. Presently Johnson's work focuses on nature in the form of floral stills. Ongoing series include cafe and restaurant scenes, landscapes and large allegorical paintings depicting religious and quasi-religious themes.
Media:Oil on Canvas